Search MeMyViews

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Haneef and the "Clash of Civilizations"












I feel pity about Haneef, who is held in Australian detention centre on charges of 'recklessly' giving his SIM to his cousin who was involved in terrorist activities in UK (I dont know how reckless am I in giving my SIM to my mum during my last visit to India on March! AFP may charge me on those grounds at any time... I'm frightened! (ha ha ha..I'm kidding)).

He is not a terrorist, my mind says. He was one of those moderate Muslims who denounced terrorism and longed to live a peaceful life as a Muslim. Since the family values in Indian culture is still preserved, he might have just trusted his cousin and given his SIM to his cousin (It may be bit hard for an average Australian to understand this logic, for there is a great erotion of family values in this culture. To put it bluntly, the marriage unsuccessful rate in Australia is more than 50%).

However, Haneef is been punished for the 'sins of his cousins'!

This is absurd and not at all acceptable. As everybody knows, there are more political rather than legal/moral resaons behind his detention (even after a successful bail application). Howard is slipping heavily in the poll ratings for the imminent Federal elections and somehow wants to turn votes to him. As in elsewhere (in India too) he is trying to terrorise people in the pretext of terrorism!

The funny thing: the opposition also supports this. So, its complete! Basically it cements one of my earlier convictions. The people of the West reserve a dangerous silence, when it comes to the matters that will somehow touches their interests/ego/conforts/convenience. This silence was evident during the decision to invade Iraq and Afghanistan from the part of the public. They simply shut their eyes! No question of morals/values! Then there will be moral rhetoric if things do not go as they wish.

One thing I want to point out. These decisions made by the politicians/governments of the West (Aus is not West, but shares Western values) has got nothing to do with Christianity. They are in no way compatible with Gospel values. Moreover, these States, as they claim, are SECULAR (in West, it means, no affinity to any religion).

It's not "Clash of Civilizations", if civilization of West means 'Christianity'. These actions of the politicians and States have got NO relation to Christianity.

I feel that Church hierarchy in this country should come forward to denounce these actions of Govt as religions are asked to denounce any terrorist activities in the name of religion.

Haneef, I hope you are innocent. Hope you will come out clean after all these trials (I know it's going to take years, I am sorry). You are only a powerless pawn in the hands of some powerful people in this world, who wants it more and more at any cost.

Never ever think that this is Christian culture! It's only the present day Western culture. Christianity has nothing to do with it - its not the "clash of civilizatons."


No comments: