Search MeMyViews

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Priest Kickout (Letter to the Editor send to "The Age")

go to HOME

I'm an Indian Catholic priest living in Melbourne. I watched the controversial video on the Dean of Melbourne's St Patrick's Cathedral on Youtube. The video puts me into shame. Of course, the Dean (St Patrick’s, Melbourne) had been provoked. I feel sorry for him. But that doesn't give him excuse or right for the way he responded. I've never been taught in Canon law/Moral theology of the Catholic Church that the color of eye or hair has got any relation with the character of a person. But when Rev Dean relates them together, even in the midst of provocation, it is condemnable. I hope that the Church in Melbourne will repair the damage and reinstate its credibility through reconciliatory measures.

The Youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OLkLPWKfDM

2 comments:

slackbastard said...

Hello jaison,

Racist commentary of the sort Geoffrey Baron engaged in is indeed unsavoury, but I'm curious to know as to what you make of the sexually-explicit comments made by the Reverend? A grown priest, of some authority within the Church, making remarks of this sort, to a group of teenage boys, is to my mind the most worrying aspect of Baron's behaviour. (The sensitivity of the Church to such matters is presumably why no newsmedia has mentioned it.)

Corinne said...

Great work.